Thursday, December 15, 2005

Mayo Group Article

Here is a link to a recent article in the Boston Globe about Mayo Group and the owner John McGrail.

http://www.boston.com/realestate/articles/2005/11/19/location_actually_it_isnt_everything/

It's essentially about how he went about making his millions and his strategy for reinvigorating rough neighborhoods. He essentially followed the Trumph principal - invests in border-line property and make it work. And he has indeed done well. It's the American principal, seize opportunity. I have no issues with this, who with common sense would. My issue is that McGrail seems incapable or unwilling to exercise good quality control on workmanship resulting in the aggravation that I and every other resident in my building is having. I'm not alone in my problems with the place. All the residents have some serious issues. We like living here. Central Square has a great vibe and it's getting better every day. We like our spaces. We like our location. We just want what was promised us, in writing I might add, and in a prompt manner. I don't believe that's asking too much.

A quote from the article caught my attention:

''You are never going to be able to make everyone happy," he said. ''You look at all the housing we've created and it's a small minority of people who don't agree with the work we've done."

-- John McGrail

Does an entire building constitute a minority? If we are the exception to the rule, well then great. It means Mayo is perfectly capable of doing quality work. Fine, come fix our problems then.

9 comments:

sculpin said...

Hey,

I noticed on the exterior side of your building that the brick facade appears to be in rough condition (missing bricks, lots of mortar missing). Am I right about that, or is that inconsequential? If not, you guys ought to get Mayo to take care of it before they hand over to you completely. We explored repointing on our building and it would have been very expensive, although it turned out not to be something we needed.

Marcus said...

The brick facade has definitley seen better days. The east wall needs the most attention and we're all aware of it. The remaining sides all need attention, but nothing critical yet, although we suspect some of the water intrusion the front units are experiencing may be coming through gaps in the mortar. I don't believe we're able to have Mayo do anything about it because they disclosed the issue with the east wall and independent inspections were done by most residents, so that should have detected the flaws, which mine did. It's a compromise. Mayo does warrant work it's done to the building, but there lies the rub, if they didn't do work to the exterior they don't warrant it. Mayo did repoint the back, which is good, after my inspector found serious problems with it. I am a bit concerned about the front facade, because if those bricks fall they can potentially hurt someone walking below.

PCC said...

We have a similar issue @ Sloan....window water on the North Side. Luckily our developer has it on their to-do list to repoint the North Side. Since they didn't get it in before winter, it doesn't look like it's going to happen until Spring. So for now all my windows have towels in them to keep the condensation from warping the woodwork. Crossing my fingers that it's not too bad a winter! I enjoy your blog, but I haven't seen any new ramblings....

Marcus said...

Sorry no new posts in some time. I've been on vacation and forgot to put out an away message. There will be more soon.

lofty-Warren said...

I hope that this North-facing exterior brick facing problem is cleared-up soon, since I am moving into a northern-exposure Sloan Machinery Loft condo unit.

Warmly, Warren

Anonymous said...

Sorry to here about your aggravation.I myself have my own aggravations as far as employment with the Mayo group up here in Keene NH. They recently optained a prominate retail property here and it's quickly going down hill as far as satisfation with maintance. I know some people that work in the stores and they are very unhappy. I recieved a call from the maintance supervisor back in late October due to a resume I left back in August 2008 wanting to hire me great. Needless to say I still haven't been hired and probably for the better, because since October I have been jerked around with numerouse reasons or quite frankly I should say lies. The property apperance will be reflected by the employees lack of skill level and managments incompenance.

Anonymous said...

Mayo Group has used Illegal, un-trained, and un-licensed workers to maximize profits. The profits gained, usually outstrips the future problems that may arise.
Central Square has had problems since the beginning.

turtle_traveler said...

I live in one of the Mayo properties here in Worcester. My problem here is that it seems to be a sort of "dumping ground"for the Massachusetts Dept. of Mental Health. I have been verbally assalted on four separate occasions, in both the hallway and in the elevator by these normal, ready to return to society types
I found out that one of them was removed. The other one is still a resident.
Later

Anonymous said...

The Mayo group seems to operate most of their properties with under the table or contractors. I have even heard that they may not even bother with local and state permits....